Actions in Case of LP Gas Emergency and Disaster
NICIGAS is available to deal with gas trouble on a 24/7 basis.
Contact in case of gas emergency
We work 24 hours a day to ensure safety.
Contact a NICIGAS office (Mondays through Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
For the contact information of the office that serves you, click below and refer to the list of our offices.
Search for your nearest NICIGAS office.
NICIGAS Emergency Center Contact Information (Nights, Sundays, holidays)
Tokyo Emergency Center
Local sales offices: Yoyogi / Hatchobori / Nerima / Jonan / Nishitokyo / Fuchu
Chiba Emergency Center
Local sales offices: Nagareyama / Takayanagi / Yachiyo / Ichikawa / Ichihara / Kimitsu / Mobara / Togane / Yokaichiba / Chiba / Narita / Yachimata
Tsukuba Emergency Center
Local sales offices: Itako / Fujishiro / Tsuchiura / Tsukuba / Mito / Mitominami / Ibaraki / Moka / Ota / Tatebayashi / Utsunomiya / Yaita
Kuki Emergency Center
Local sales offices: Kawaguchi / Koshigaya / Urawa / Asaka / Omiya / Kuki / Hasuda / Kurihashi / Kawagoe / Kumagaya / Kamisato / Adachi / Wako / Takasaki / Maebashi
Hachioji Emergency Center
Local sales offices: Hidaka / Sayama / Mizuho / Hachioji / Fuchinobe / Tsukui / Sobudai / Kofu / Otsuki / Hokuto
Machida Emergency Center
Local sales offices: Midori / Asahi / Totsuka / Yokosuka / Shonan / Kawasaki / Machida / Ebina / Hiratsuka / Hadano / Odawara / Mishima / Fuji / Shizuoka / Yaizu / Hamamatsu
In case of a problem with LP gas (propane gas)
If you smell gas…
Extinguish all fire in the room. Do not strike a match. Do not smoke.
Keep your hands away from any power outlet or switch, which may be an ignition source.
*Never switch on a ventilator. However, continue operating ventilators that are already in operation.
Fully open doors and windows to improve the air flow and clear the gas out of the room. Close the gas supply cock and all appliance cocks.
If a gas alarm sounds or if you smell gas, contact your gas operator immediately. Do not use any gas until the inspection is completed.
Actions in the event of a disaster
In case of Fire
Close the gas meter valve and contact the fire station and your gas operator. Ask the firefighters to take subsequent action.
Close the gas appliance cocks and the gas supply cock. Take action in cooperation with your neighbors. Provide assistance to elderly and injured people.
If there is a risk of typhoon or flood damage
Close the gas cylinder valves and ensure that the cylinders are so securely fastened that they cannot fall or be washed away.
Closing a gas cylinder valve
Closing gas cylinder valves in the event of a disaster will help prevent secondary damage.
To close a cylinder valve, turn it clockwise.
If no gas is flowing, check the gas meter.
If none of the gas appliances in the home are working, check the indicator lamp on the gas meter. If it is flashing, make sure there is no gas smell, and then follow the steps for recovery. If you smell gas, do not take the steps for recovery. Instead, contact your gas operator immediately.
The gas meter has a built-in safety device that is designed to automatically stop the gas flow in the event of the following. If the safety device is working, the red indicator lamp will flash.
- Major earthquake
- Massive gas leak
- Gas pressure below the predetermined level
- Use of gas appliances for a long time
Steps for Recovery
If the recovery is not undertaken properly or if you have any questions, please contact us.
1. Close the appliance cock or turn off the operation switch to stop the operation of all gas appliances. Do not forget to turn off outdoor gas appliances.
Make sure that gas cocks that are not being used are closed. In this event, do not close the gas meter valve.
2. Press the button on the left, and the indication “ガス止” will disappear.
The microcomputer will perform a safety check for one minute to determine whether there is a gas leak.
If there is no abnormality found, gas will be available as usual. If it is not available, please contact us.
3. When the characters on the liquid crystal screen and the lamp flash, wait for one minute.
4. When the characters on the liquid crystal screen and the lamp go out, the recovery process is finished.
Make sure that you are aware of the position of the gas meter.
In multi-unit residential buildings
In detached houses
In the event of an earthquake, put your own safety first.
First of all, protect your safety.
For example, take shelter under a table. In response to a tremor equivalent to intensity 5 or higher on the JMA scale, the microcomputer gas meter will automatically stop the gas flow. Do not panic. Remain calm.
After the tremors end, turn the gas fire off.
If any gas appliance was in operation, switch it off and close the gas cock.
Before using gas after an earthquake, check the following points.
- Check that there is no gas smell around any gas appliance.
- Check whether any gas appliance has any deformation, damage or other abnormality.
- Check whether the indoor and outdoor air supply and exhaust system has any abnormality. (Visually check whether there is any disconnection, depression or hole.)
- Check whether the gas piping and tubing is properly connected. (Visually check that it is not disconnected.)
If you perceive danger…
- If you discover any abnormality, it may cause a fire, carbon monoxide poisoning or another accident. Ask the manufacturer or dealer to undertake inspection and repair and contact your gas operator.
- If your eyes are irritated or you feel sick or discover an unpleasant smell while using any gas appliance, stop using it immediately and make arrangements for repair services to be undertaken.